Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Wheeze, Cough, Sneeze, Wheeze, Cough . . .

I am sick, actually it feels as if I have been sick most of the Fall and this has made a serious dent in my fitness.

The first four weeks of the Fall Quarter I spent with just enough chest congestion to not be unable to run (raced twice) but just debilitated enough to feel like crap and unmotivated most of the time. One good week of working out (swimming, biking, and running) and then a week where the wheels come off. Weird.

And now, now that the winter break has commenced, I find myself fighting either a cold or a chlorine allergy/sensitivity so bad that it put me in bed for the whole day yesterday. Spent the day sleeping and watching episodes of Star Trek: Phase II. These are pretty well done but it is a little odd to see someone else playing the central characters. Kind of nice to do this really but I am feeling sad for what seems a wasted day.


Not to mention the tendonitis in my knee that I am now working through. 


Sheesh!

How am I going to get any kind of distance at this rate?

I will, it'll be a challenge but there it is.

In the meantime, it's the holidays! :-)

Some random stuff.

I raced last weekend, the 12K's of Christmas in Kirkland, a well-run event. A rather hilly course but one that I have done twice before, once in the pouring rain and again in 20 degree weather. Sunday was a bit misty and cold (normal Seattle weather) and it made for nice running conditions. Given this fall this was a nice test of where I actually am physically and, I happy to say, the news is relatively good. I am not fast (at least not as fast as I was when I did this course the other times) but I do seem strong. This felt like a good hard run and it was nice to have K, a friend of mine coming back after a couple of years away from running (and not by choice), run in with me after his own race.

Running in these kinds of races can be an interesting experience. You see all kinds of things, anything from strange running form to people deciding to squat at the side of the road (remember that carnage in Philly GVB?). During this race I had a guy let go a very smelly and loud fart right in front of me. It took a bit to get out from the smell. Passed this guy only to have him pass me again just before the finish. At least I didn't have to run in his wake. A headphone wearing woman ran into me three times. Not brushed against me mind you but full-on collision. I am not sure what was going on except, perhaps, that she was too busy figuring out whatever running program and playlist was on her iPhone that she wasn't paying attention to where she was going. Better she ran into me than a sign post or a curb or a car or . . . Then there was the guy running with his dog. They got in front of me and the dog is on a six foot leash and is wandering in and out of the traffic lane on 108th. The guy is listening to headphones and is concentrating on his shoe that has come untied when the dog goes back out into the traffic lane just as a double-long bus goes by. I can't believe what I am seeing and literally bark "Dog In!!" This startles the guy and he veers off to the grass verge to tie his shoe. Catches me up a little later on and gives me a look. Hmm.

Next race? Resolution Run with the Polar Bear Dip and then I am thinking of the Nookachamps Half Marathon on January.

Oh yeah, you can't really trust your GPS . . . 


Happy Holidays!

This will be fun!


1 comment:

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

people watching during a race is the best. Vegas RR is the best when it comes to that for me. I try not run races which people can bring their dogs. Only because the dogs are smarter than than the humans holding the leash it seems. Unpleasant site. :)

Merry Christmas!

BTW - Star Trek Phase II? Never heard of this before. Need to check it out. Thanks for the links.