Saturday, February 27, 2010

Kind Of A Rough Week

It has been sort of a rough week round here.

After two challenging runs at the weekend (a very hilly 16 on the 20th and 9.5 miles at MP on the 21st) I found that I had done something to my right hip. Trying to run my three-miler on the 22nd was just awful—no juice and very sore legs. I finally decided that something was wrong when even walking and standing became a trial. Advil and stretching helped but did not eliminate the soreness which, to be honest, was actually pain (something I have a hard time admitting when going through it). The question, and fear really, was whether or not this was all muscular or had I sustained some damage to my femur or hip joint (an acquaintance of mine broke his femur head while running the Boston Marathon, not pretty). Ever since my stress fractures of a few years ago I find myself immediately jumping to the "You've done it now Boyo!" and "Well, that does it for your marathon now doesn't it." I took two days off in full awareness of what this was going to do for my training schedule. But schedules are meant to be broken if needed and I needed to do it.

Lots of stretching and rest and I felt ready to have something of a test run on Thursday. Decided to take the dog to Magnuson for our customary 3 miles with a swing through the off-leash area. And here is where things got even more interesting. I got bitten.



Te was out ahead of me romping with some other dogs. They all went around a corner. I trotted after him and, as I went round, a terrier type dog charged me (brown with black brindle and a spade head), whipped around behind me and got my calf. It's owner was right there and I said to her "Your dog put teeth on me!" She said, either to me or to her companion, that "She was not sure what it was about joggers that set her dog off" and proceeded to walk off. Had I the presence of mind I would have gotten information from her but I didn't. Instead I collected Te and we continued on. Blood was flowing by the time I got to the car and where I had been tagged was getting pretty sore, hot, and swelling. Burned it out with Hydrogen Peroxide when I got home and decided to call the doctor to get a tetanus shot (that was a treat). We dismissed rabies as a probability.

I did report this incident and have had a number of calls from Seattle Park and Rec, expressing concern but all of them reiterating the "enter at your own risk" policy that governs the off-leash areas. Seattle Animal Control sent two officers out to the house to interview me and take a picture of my leg. Of course, unless I had identifying information to give, nothing much can be done except to compile reports.

You might be thinking, "You are such an idiot RPD! What the Hell were you thinking running through an off-leash area!?" My answer simply is I was exercising my dog in much the same way that many others were and do. The fact is that this dog was out of control with both me and other dogs in the area (it was going after Terfel too) and the owner plainly does not know how to handle it. Her remark suggests that the dog has done this sort of thing before and, to my mind, the fact that she simply does nothing about it suggests rather poor judgement. I am a big guy but imagine, just imagine, if this dog had gone after one of the many children who run through that park? Not the dog's fault, that prey drive was obviously popping. Owner? That is another story and I hate to be around when her luck runs out. Nuff said.

The good news is that things are healing nicely and I don't have any soreness. The bite broke the skin but there wasn't any deep penetration. Big bruise though that was pretty sore for a bit. Today the tetanus injection site is sorer than the initial wound. I got lucky. Really lucky.

The even better news is that things are looking up. Got some new shoes this week, Mizuno Wave Riders, and had a 6.75 miler today as well as a couple of dog-exhausting runs in the park as well. Hip seems fine with some residual muscle tightness. I got lucky yet again.


2 comments:

PuddleThumper said...

I'll be the first. That BITES!

What a shitty response from the owner. i'm glad the bite wasn't more serious.

Slomohusky said...

Yeah I agree about the owners reponse. Yet, not every dog is the same as well. Bad mix of dismissive negligent owner and aggressive/over protective dog. Sorry about the leg bite. I will say that was quite the repsonse you did recieve from the police/animal control/parks. The owner/dog will most likely be back to the same park and area. Be curious if you come across them again?

Vegas does not have unleashed areas at any park I know of here. Yet, the large soccer complex my kids play is an early AM open field of doggie play. Even though, clearly visible signs with regards to leashing your dog are in the complex area.