Today I had one of those runs that reminded me why I love running as much as I do and why it is as big a part of my life as it is.
I've decided to work through one of Higdon's Marathon Plans which should ready me for a run sometime in May. Which one? I am thinking of three: Eugene, Big Sur (all uphill but pretty), and Avenue of the Giants (really remote but pretty). I still don't know and am temporizing. What would you do?
In any event, so far (and we are only in week 1), I am liking this plan. It spreads a variety of running throughout the week (a nice change from loading the distance runs around the weekend). Simple too.
Today it was hills (as if I don't get enough hills already). A good opportunity for me to actually sharpen up. Couple of miles warm-up and then 3 X Hill (200-400 meters), and then a cool down. Total of around 5 miles.
It was a nice day for trails but I wanted flat too so off to Magnuson I went.
Normally I don't listen to music when I run but today, today I decided to bring my iPod along and just cut loose. It made for a nice change of pace.
Ran first along the waterfront hitting every puddle and rocky beach that I could. Then into the dog off-leash area. That was fun. Two dogs started chasing me though, a Scottie and a Poodle. Nothing more than worrying though. Finished running through and hopped a fence and back out in the fields. More mud and some small hills before heading over to Kite Hill for the repeats.
The repeats were hard but good practice for the 3000 Meter XC Race this Saturday—I ran the same path in 2:45 and 2:41 (for .30 miles) and 2:37 (for .28 miles)—a pretty steep hill.
Then around and around through more puddles, getting thoroughly wet and muddy. It was simply a blast and I've been carrying around an endorphin high since I finished (went flying through Yoga class this evening).
I hope. I hope. I hope that more runs like these are in my future. :-)
- Finale-Igor Stravinsky
- Every Day I Die—Gary Numan
- Dread Rock—Paul Oakenfold
- The Dusty Miller—The Chieftains
- Within A Mile of Dublin/The Old Blackthorn—The Chieftains
- Cars (Rush Hour Skadiva)—Techno Army Featuring Gary Numan
- Freeways (Euromix)—Men Without Hats
- Tá An Coileach Ag Fógairt An Lae (3 Pipes)—The Chieftains
- Where do the Boys Go (Extended Version)—Men Without Hats
- Working Overtime—New Order
- Masters of the Universe [Eternal Basement Remix]—Juno Reactor
- Friends (Pure Version)—Gary Numan
- Om shanti om (Medley Mix)—Shahrukh Khan, Arjun Rampal, Deepika Padukone & Shreyas Talpade
- Deewangi deewangi—Shahrukh Khan, Arjun Rampal, Deepika Padukone & Shreyas Talpade
- Destination Unkown (TV Mania Remix)—Missing Persons
- Nine Lives of Miss MIDI—Saga
- Turn Up The Radio—Autograph