Friday, January 1, 2010

The "Aughts"

Here it is, New Years Day, and it is time to reflect upon what has been and what one hopes will come to be.

It feels strange to be entering into the second decade of a new century and I find myself wondering what 1910 must have felt like. Was there a sense of impending disaster as was to come or a sense of hope. Such things depend upon who you were, what you were doing, and how much struggle was in your life. People did suspect the shocking nature of what was to unfold. Some were welcoming, others saw tragedy.

Personally, I am happy to see the back of the "aughts" but I find myself curiously blind. What will the teens bring? More of the same? Looking back to 1910 I find that the headlines haven't really changed all that much—Revolution in Portugal, the Japanese annexation of Korea for starters, and war scares in Europe. Not much different than today's really.

The optimist in me hopes that we can transcend all this, come back to the realization that, at bottom, all people really want is to live a dignified life, and get on the business of discovering more and more of the wonders of the universe. The pessimist knows that we will not and that the long, slow, sad unfolding tragedy begun in the aughts will continue.

Here's to the optimist.

1 comment:

Slomohusky said...

I was wondering about 1910 as well. Some low rent talk show was babbling about what we are going to call twenty 10 or 2 thousand 10? Obviously, I thought what did they do in 1910? It took me down the same historical comparison road overall you went and I came to almost the same conclusion.

Thanks for sharing your personal take on things.